Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cup Match Century


Doing a Century ride in Bermuda isn't the greatest: the route is the same route you always do, you just do it again and again and again. What the ride lacks in adventure, however, it more than makes up for in the sheer element of difficulty that the heat adds. Where we thought we'd see the whole island on a beautiful day we instead met every gas station worker from Dockyard to St. Georges filling up on water or just standing in front of the opened freezer doors. Along Middle Road, Paget I seriously worried that my kidneys were failing. South Shore, Smiths I was wondering if Dave would notice if I just reached out and grabbed onto his seat post for awhile. Then finally, on the last two miles I rode up McGalls hill entirely on the wrong side of the road just for the relief of the shade. I was desperate.


The ride To Dockyard was beautiful; a gentle breeze, sunrise over the ocean. We even had Phil Mace acting as our very own derny for the first 45K.


The routine of the day.



This is what hot looks like, Dave never seemed to get there.


I often joke that I ride early in the mornings only because I like the fresh coffee at Rock Island. By the same logic it wouldn't be a stretch to say that I did this ride for the feast that Dave concocted. A slow Moroccan roasted lamb shoulder days in the making, with a ridiculous serving of cous cous and chickpeas. A thing of beauty. Oh, and beer, and wine, and a float in the sound with noodles for desert. It really was all worth it in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment